Search
Chef's Table: Douglas Katz

Chef's Table: Douglas Katz

The fire food & drink burger

The fire food & drink burger
Photo by Sarah R. Sphar

The fire food & drink burger

Under the direction of chef and owner Douglas Katz, Fire food & drink, located at historic Shaker Square, has earned a loyal following during the past decade. Katz' unwavering support of local producers has helped educate thousands of Ohio residents about the farmers and products available. His carefully cultivated relationships with local purveyors bring some of the state's finest ingredients to fire, where Katz and his kitchen excel in preparing unfussy, delicious dishes from highly seasonal menus.

In this episode of Chef's Table, Katz talks about why he began serving Ohio grass-fed beef from Miller Livestock Co., Inc., while sharing grilling tips and how to prepare fire's signature burger.

Comments (12)

On March 30th, 2010 @ 06:41:am,  responded:

One of my favorite restaurants! Right now, my favorite menu item is tandoor roasted hanger steak killbuck mushroom ragout, truffled french toast and creamed spinach - yum!

On March 30th, 2010 @ 06:52:am,  quipped:

I haven't been there yet, east side and all, but I am definitely checking out the lemon souffle pancakes at some point.

On March 30th, 2010 @ 08:32:am,  said:

My favorite item on the menu at Fire is the braised lamb with barley risotto, bacon, prunes, citrus gremolata and red wine jus! Delicious!

On March 30th, 2010 @ 10:19:am,  remarked:

Perfect place for a nice dinner date or Girls' lunch. I love the seafood there- my favorite being the Tandoor roasted whole fish. Soo good.

On March 30th, 2010 @ 11:25:am,  responded:

I've never been there, and every time I visit Shaker Square or hear something about Fire it kills me. I need to go soon!

On March 31st, 2010 @ 06:57:am,  observed:

Fire has been on my list of Cleveland restaurants to check out. I need to get to the eastside more often!

On March 31st, 2010 @ 07:07:am,  stated:

My favorite would also be the Tandor Roasted Hanger Steak, although anything done in their Tandor oven is pretty good. Doug is one of the best in Cleveland in using local ingredients.

On March 31st, 2010 @ 07:12:am,  responded:

I'd love to try the bbq tacos on the brunch menu!

On March 31st, 2010 @ 07:39:am,  said:

The Tandor roasted Hanger steak would be my current favorite, but anything done in the Tandor oven is good.

On March 31st, 2010 @ 03:13:pm,  stated:

My favorite dinner is organic chicken with cornbread stuffing, black eyed peas, braised greens and chicken jus.

On March 31st, 2010 @ 05:38:pm,  replied:

yum! i love love love their mussels. my husband and i are have been to fire several times for apps and drinks and i always order the mussels!

On March 31st, 2010 @ 05:39:pm,  observed:

i love fire! my husband and i have been there several times for apps and drinks and we always order the mussels!